Some hours ago, Google has identified (and removed from the Play Store) about 20 apps infected by a spyware called Lipizzan.
This is a two-stage targeted spyware that can do everything with your device (smartphone or tablet).
For example, on an infected device, it can:
- record calls (both Voice and VoIP calls);
- access contacts;
- access SMS;
- access the microphone;
- take pictures from the camera;
- get screenshots, and photos from gallery;
- get current GPS location;
- get other information from various apps, like Whatsapp, Skype, Facebook, Snapchat, and so on…
Lipizzan is a two-stage spyware that is combined with a generic app providing backup or cleanup features. After installation, Lipizzan installs a second stage component, that starts the root of the device and sends user data to a server.
Google confirmed that Lipizzan has been removed from the Play Store. Also, it said that any new installations are blocked.